It’s that time of the year again, time to go on the healthy diet. Shepard’s pie doesn’t sound healthy but you can make it healthy with the Paleo primal diet. Just a few changes, it looks like I used Russet or Idaho potatoes but I actually used sweet potatoes called O’Henry sweet potato, you can use any kind of sweet potato you like or that is available but I find the O’Henry holds up better because it has a little more starch than the regular orange sweet potato.
*2-3 lb Sweet Potato cooked and mashed
2 lb ground turkey or chicken
1/2 cup diced onions
1/2 cup diced carrots
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 chopped mushrooms
1 tbsp sea salt
1/2 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp of mixed spices : thyme, oregano, sage, garlic
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp arrow root flour (optional)
- Brown ground meat in a large skillet with oil, add salt and pepper
- When meat is browned add in onions, carrots and celery along with spices, saute for 5-10 minutes then add in mushrooms and saute for another 5 mins, add in arrow root flour and mix for another minute.
- Let meat and vegetables mixture cool for about 10-15 minutes, spoon sweet potato over mixture and use a fork to create lines on top.
- Put the skillet in the oven for 20-30 minutes, crisp top by using broil in the last 5 minutes. Take skillet out of oven and let it stand for another 15 minutes before serving.
* If you are using the orange sweet potato it is better to add two tbsp of arrow root flour to the mash as orange sweet potato’s are much more watery than O’Henry’s.